Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just...WOW!

I apologize for the wait, but we literally have no free time. The only reason I can blog right now is because our Opening ceremonies were scheduled for 2 1/2 hours, but only lasted for about 30 minutes.So, here ya go...

Tuesday was quite a day as we got organized and got to know our swimmers. We had to go over the very basics of swiming, including how long the pool is, what the strokes are called, what a kickboard is, etc. Most of these guys and gals have never formailly swum before and are just now learning - with disabilities.

We have guys with no legs, one arm, blind, mental issues, and one of the guys I worked with had been in an explosion and needed a stomach transplant, and has lost most of his lung capacity. He obviously needed help with his breathing, which was my area.

After our two morning sessions, the coaches were dumb enough to do a short swim in between  instead of going to lunch. I hurt. I'm tired. I'm hungry.

I am not about to complain, though. Watching these men and women getting their lives back after protecting mine, is such a reality check for all of us. They just don't quit.

We had a welcome dinner for 'all hands' Tuesday night. There were several 1, 2 and 3 star Generals in attendance which was cool. But the guest speaker blew us away. His name is Anthony Robles. He is a NCAA Division I National Wrestling champion. What's so special you say?
He was born with only one leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtmC-R8htc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player


To give an example of the type of guys we are dealing with: After the dinner we were waiting for the buses to take us back and freezing our patooties off. I commented, "I can't feel my legs!" The double amputee in the wheelchair in front of me said, "I can't either!". These guys are trying to live a normal day to day life like the rest of us. Most of them have a great sense of humor.

Another example is of our swimmers learning how to streamline. As I walked around checking to make sure they were doing it right, I saw these two guys, both of whom only have one arm:


GREAT ATTITUDES!!!

During my first few hours here, I had to catch myself from getting teary eyed at some of these Warriors. Now, I can kid around and tease them knowing not to feel sorry for them, 'cause they sure don't feel sorry for themselves.







1 comment:

  1. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU, THANK YOU FOR LETTING US SHARE THIS MOMENT IN TIME WITH YOU! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH AND ARE PRAYING EVERY SINGLE DAY! GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete