Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I didn't realize that sitting on your rear all day was so tiring. After 12 hours of travel, I was exhausted. And, my butt hurt.

I started the day at 7am EST. Got dropped off at the MARTA station to go to the airport. Not a bad way to travel. Thankfully, the security line was basically empty, so it took all of 10 minutes to get to my gate. We all boarded the plane, stowed our luggage and seat belted ourselves in only to be told that the captain was on his way. I assume he was in Atlanta traffic. I should tell him to take MARTA next time.
The flight wasnn't too bad except for the guy next to me who decided he needed to spread out. Into my seat area. After the third elbow to the rib, he figured out his spatial relation to others.

When I arrived in San Diego, I was ushered into the USO room for a Subway sandwhich and leather theater seats to relax and wait on the bus to go to the base. This was a neat experience. There was a computer room, guitars, fooz ball, and several TV's with ESPN on. A few ladies had therapy dogs with them to let the soldiers pet and cuddle. There was also a guy dressed as Uncle Sam doing magic tricks. This is something that volunteers do, so I may look into that opportunity.


We took an hour bus ride to the base to get checked in and get our rooms. The barraks look like a motel on the outside and a dorm room on the inside. SPARSE. The only real problem was that our heater won't turn off. It was probably a tropical 90 degrees. So, my roommate and fellow swim coach, Missy, and I jerry-rigged the door and slept with it open all night:



After getting settled, we had a general information meeting at the base theater. I met several other coaches and we weer introduced to the Colonel in charge and told about some of the VIP's that will be visiting, and got to see the teams from Australia, Germany, Colombia, England, the Netherlands and France.

There are 3 Vietnam Purple Heart recipients here coaching, along with several Olympians and two professional wheelchair basketball players one of which is named 'Tree'.

I was so tired last night, I went right to sleep. And slept quite soundly. Missy said she didn't sleep very well because of being in a new place. I have a sneaky suspicion it was more because of my snoring...

I'm off to my first official day!

No comments:

Post a Comment